In 2012 Vaughan spoke at The Social Contract Press’ annual Writers’ Workshop event. The year Vaughan spoke to the workshop, one of her fellow speakers was Peter Brimelow, the founder and editor of the white nationalist website VDARE. The Social Contract Press (TSCP) was founded in 1990 by John Tanton, who served as editor for the outlet known for featuring white nationalist writers, and most infamously in 1994 republished an English translation of the openly racist novel The Camp of the Saints.
- As the director of policy studies for CIS, Vaughan authors and promotes reports filled with blatant anti-immigrant animus and misinformation.
- Vaughan has cited unverifiable facts from government agencies that go unchecked because they are not available to the public, such as in the case of this 2015 report on Central American minors fleeing violence in the Northern Triangle, in which Vaughan claimed, “According to the DHS statistics, which have not been released to the public, but were obtained by the Center, about 99 percent of all the illegal alien minors taken into ICE custody since the beginning of the fiscal year were apprehended by the Border Patrol.”
- Media outlets frequently include Vaughan’s commentary on immigration-related reporting without mentioning her white nationalist and nativist ties.
- Vaughan’s opinion is regularly sought by anti-immigrant members of Congress, like former Senator Jeff Sessions, who invited her to testify at more than 11 congressional hearings since 2013.
- In January 2017, Vaughan praised Bristol County, Massachusetts Sheriff Thomas Hodgson’s offer to send county inmates to help build President Trump’s border wall, saying, “I can think of no other project that would have such a positive impact on our inmates and our country than building this wall.” Vaughan also told the Washington Examiner that the plan would put any immigrant prisoners “that much closer for deportation.” “Not only that, they can use their new skills to support themselves in their home country,” she added.
Attacks on DACA
- On October 3rd, 2017, CIS’s Director of Policy Studies Jessica Vaughan testified at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on DACA in which she continued to advocate for severely restrictionist policies in exchange for a legislative solution for immigrant youth.
- On September 27, 2017 CIS published a new report entitled Immigration Multipliers: Trends in Chain Migration. The report was authored by CIS’s Director of Policy Studies, Jessica Vaughan. In a statement, Vaughan used the report to smear the DACA program and suggest twice as many relatives would receive green cards within 20 years.
- On December 4, 2017 CIS hosted a panel discussion on the report. The event took place at the National Press Club. Panel participants included Vaughan, as well as RAISE Act co-sponsor Sen. David Perdue (R-GA).
- Vaughan has for years advocated for DACA to be ended, including under President Trump: ‘This program was improper under the Obama administration, and it’s still improper and, in our view, unconstitutional under the Trump administration.” Vaughan has also fabricated unnecessary alarm over high DACA application approval rates.