On Congressman Gosar’s website he brags about his high marks from anti-immigrant groups NumbersUSA and FAIR: “For my leadership and action on these issues, I have a career grade of “A+” with the immigration enforcement advocacy group NumbersUSA and a career 100% rating with the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR).”
- Congressman Paul Gosar represents the 4th District of Arizona, and associates with some of the furthest fringe congressional members and their allies in the anti-immigrant lobby who advocate for mass roundups of the undocumented, radical reductions to overall immigration levels, ending birthright citizenship, and barring individuals based on religion.
- Rep. Gosar frequently cites CIS, FAIR, and NumbersUSA in many of his public statements on immigration, and often touts their endorsement of legislation he sponsors.
- Gosar was a recipient of Tanton’s political action committee USIRPAC in 2014.
Beliefs and Associations
- The Arizona congressman is a cosponsor of King’s H.R.140, the Birthright Citizenship Act of 2017, which would eliminate granting automatic citizenship to the U.S.-born children to undocumented parents.
- Congressman Gosar is a strong supporter of Arizona’s draconian “show me your papers” bill SB 1070 and has expressed his admiration for the legislation on multiple occasions: “I have been an avid supporter of the Arizona immigration law… Arizona was forced to fend for itself and enforce the laws already on the books because the Federal Government refused to.”
Attacks on DACA
- In July of 2017 Rep. Gosar introduced an amendment to the NDAA to prohibit DACA recipients from joining the military via the MAVNI program, which allows for some non-citizens who possess unique and sought-after medical or language skills to enlist.
- Gosar introduced the same amendment in the 114th Congress and it was a rejected in a recorded vote with 30 Republicans voting against it.